DUBLIN, Ohio, Dec. 2, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The Wendy's Company announced today a new community-based giving program to benefit 23 charitable organizations. This program supports the Company's announcement in June to donate at least $500,000 to support social justice, youth and education in the Black community.
In 2019, Wendy's announced a partnership with the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, which has now expanded, to support educational and career opportunities for Black students throughout the United States. In Columbus, Wendy's is partnering with the YWCA of Columbus and the Columbus Urban League to help advance their missions of combatting racism and leveling the playing field of racial inequality. In addition, the Company allocated a portion of its $500,000 commitment to be directed by its employees to ensure Wendy's could support worthy causes throughout its global restaurant footprint.
Wendy's field-based employees were eligible to apply for a charitable grant on behalf of a local charitable organization, with a total grant pool of $100,000 available in 2020. An internal committee of Wendy's Company employees reviewed the applications and selected 23 organizations to receive grants:
- Arizona Center for African American Resources (AZCAAR), Phoenix, AZ
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Green Bay, Green Bay, WI
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI
- Casa Valentina, Miami, FL
- CEE Centre for Young Black Professionals, Toronto, Ont., Canada
- Children's Home Society of Florida, Jacksonville, FL
- Dream Center of Lakeland, Lakeland, FL
- Every Child's Hope, St. Louis, MO
- Faith, Hope & Love for Kids, Racine, WI
- Hearts Full of Grace, Virginia Beach, VA
- Houston Area Urban League, Houston, TX
- Louisville Urban League, Louisville, KY
- Mentoring Positives, Inc., Madison, WI
- Mississippi Families for Kids, Jackson, MS
- Operation Breakthrough, Kansas City, MO
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Middle Tennessee, Nashville, TN
- The Amos House, Providence, RI
- Tree House Cultural Arts Movement, Inc., Newark, NJ
- Tropicana Community Services, Toronto, Ont., Canada
- Urban League of Greater Atlanta, Atlanta, GA
- Urban League Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN
- Wyman Center, St. Louis, MO
- Youth Villages, Knoxville, TN
"As a brand, Wendy's is committed to living our core values Do The Right Thing, Treat People With Respect and Give Something Back, and this includes supporting our Wendy's family members and communities across the globe," said Wendy's Chief Communications Officer Liliana Esposito. "We are proud to support these worthy organizations this year and look forward to building sustainable partnerships in these communities."
Several Wendy's franchise partners have existing relationships with organizations that will receive grants from The Wendy's Company, and these franchisees are also matching the grant amounts. These strong partnerships reinforce the brand's commitment to develop and deepen long-term, sustainable relationships with community-based organizations whose missions we can help elevate. There are more than 6,800 Wendy's restaurants around the world, and we will continue to demonstrate our commitment to serving as a trusted partner in the communities where we operate.
The Company has also committed to continue this level of charitable support in the future. In 2021, Wendy's will combine this new program with its existing annual Community Ambassador Grant Program, substantially increasing the Company's support for community-based giving.
Wendy's® was founded in 1969 by Dave Thomas in Columbus, Ohio. Dave built his business on the premise, "Quality is our Recipe®," which remains the guidepost of the Wendy's system. Wendy's is best known for its made-to-order square hamburgers, using fresh, never frozen beef*, freshly-prepared salads, and other signature items like chili, baked potatoes and the Frosty® dessert. The Wendy's Company (Nasdaq: WEN) is committed to doing the right thing and making a positive difference in the lives of others. This is most visible through the Company's support of the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption® and its signature Wendy's Wonderful Kids® program, which seeks to find every child in the North American foster care system a loving, forever home. Today, Wendy's and its franchisees employ hundreds of thousands of people across more than 6,800 restaurants worldwide with a vision of becoming the world's most thriving and beloved restaurant brand. For details on franchising, connect with us at www.wendys.com/franchising. Visit www.wendys.com and www.squaredealblog.com for more information and connect with us on Twitter and Instagram using @wendys, and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/wendys.
*Fresh beef available in the contiguous U.S., Alaska and Canada.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/wendys-announces-new-community-based-giving-program-301183629.html
SOURCE The Wendy’s Company