Report Details the Company’s Continued Dedication to Environmental, Social, and Governance Sustainability Practices
On June 6, 2022, Physicians Realty Trust (the “Company”) released its third annual ESG Report, detailing the company’s continued progress towards its environmental, social, and governance (ESG) goals and highlighting numerous notable achievements in the space over the prior year.
“Over the past year, we demonstrated the strength of our business model and increased our focus on building an organization committed to an industry-leading ESG platform,” said John T. Thomas, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Trust. “This year’s ESG Report outlines our progress in promoting environmental sustainability, diversity, equity, and inclusion, and strong corporate governance at DOC. Together, we are driving lasting change and delivering outstanding performance for all of our stakeholders, thanks to our Board of Trustees, executive leadership, ESG Committee members, and our larger team who helps us fulfill our Invest in better® mission and continued achievements.”
Thomas continues, “We are especially honored that in May 2022, DOC earned the Green Lease Leaders Platinum Designation from the Institute for Market Transformation and the U.S. Department of Energy Better Buildings Alliance. DOC is the only health care REIT to earn this new designation, and it represents the highest recognition offered for green leasing efforts.”
DOC has aligned our ESG reporting with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) to improve the transparency of our efforts and future goals. We are proud to share updates regarding:
- Recognition for ESG Excellence: Physicians Realty Trust earned an inaugural rating of 75 from the Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark (GRESB), outperforming the international average and earning a Green Star designation.
- Our Environment: Physicians Realty Trust was named a 2021 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year and validated its climate goals with the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) as in line with the “well-below 2°C” goal of the initiative. The Company also earned 10 ENERGY STAR® medical office building certifications, a recently re-launched program by the Department of Energy (DOE). Our 10 certifications for 2021 accounted for 15% of the total medical office buildings that received this designation nationwide in this initial period.
- Our People: The Company is proud to have earned Modern Healthcare’s Best Places to Work distinction in 2021 and 2022, as well as the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Top Workplaces accolades for five consecutive years. These awards, based upon anonymous employee feedback, reflect the strong priority the company makes in valuing and supporting its team members.
- Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion: By committing to the CEO Action for Diversity & Inclusion pledge, setting new three-year supplier diversity goals, and strengthening internal programming and policies, the Company demonstrates the value it places on advancing DEI principles.
- Corporate Governance: The Company appointed one new independent director in 2022, increasing our Board of Directors' diversity to 33% and gaining the additional diversity and thought leadership of Ava Lias-Booker, Esq.
Physicians Realty Trust’s ESG Report is available online at www.docreit.com/esg.
About Physicians Realty Trust
Physicians Realty Trust is a self-managed health care real estate company organized to acquire, selectively develop, own and manage health care properties that are leased to physicians, hospitals and health care delivery systems. The Company invests in real estate that is integral to providing high quality health care. The Company is a Maryland real estate investment trust and has elected to be taxed as a REIT for U.S. federal income tax purposes. The Company conducts its business through an UPREIT structure in which its properties are owned by the Operating Partnership, directly or through limited partnerships, limited liability companies or other subsidiaries.
This press release contains statements that are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of words such as “anticipate”, “believe”, “expect”, “estimate”, “plan”, “outlook”, “continue”, “intend”, and “project” and other similar expressions that predict or indicate future events or trends or that are not statements of historical matters. These forward looking statements may include statements regarding the Company’s strategic and operational plans, the Company’s ability to generate internal and external growth, the future outlook, anticipated cash returns, cap rates or yields on properties, anticipated closing of property acquisitions, ability to execute its business plan, and the impact of the Coronavirus and its variants, including the Delta and Omicron variants and any future variants which may emerge, (COVID-19 pandemic) on the Company’s business. While forward-looking statements reflect our good faith beliefs, they are not guarantees of future performance. Forward-looking statements should not be read as a guarantee of future performance or results, and will not necessarily be accurate indications of the times at, or by, which such performance or results will be achieved. Forward-looking statements are based on information available at the time those statements are made and/or management’s good faith belief as of that time with respect to future events, and are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause actual performance or results to differ materially from those expressed in or suggested by the forward looking statements. These forward-looking statements are subject to various risks and uncertainties, not all of which are known to the Company and many of which are beyond the Company’s control, which could cause actual results to differ materially from such statements. These risks and uncertainties are described in greater detail in the Company’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “Commission”), including, without limitation, the Company’s annual and periodic reports and other documents filed with the Commission. Unless legally required, the Company disclaims any obligation to update any forward-looking statements after the date of this release, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. For a discussion of factors that could impact the Company’s results, performance, or transactions, see Part I, Item 1A (Risk Factors) of the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021.
Source: Physicians Realty Trust